Thursday, July 5, 2012

Chilled Blackberry Pie

My parents have had wild blackberries growing in their yard for years. They have spread to become quite a crop each year. My mom makes them into jelly. A few years ago, I decided to try some recipes with them myself. I found and adapted this delicious pie recipe. I can even make it fairy low calorie by sweetening it with Splenda and using light Cool Whip. Yesterday, I picked several cups of berries, and came home to make this...

Chilled Blackberry Pie

Ingredients
2 ½ cups fresh blackberries
1 cup sugar or Splenda
1 ½ cups water
¼ cup cornstarch
Additional ¾ cup water
1 deep dish pie crust
1 container Cool Whip

Directions

Bake pie crust by itself according to package directions. Meanwhile, place berries in a saucepan along with the 1 ½ cups water and sugar. Bring to a boil. Measure out additional ¾ cup water. Stir in cornstarch, then set aside. When berries are finished boiling, stir in the cornstarch mixture. Pour berry mixture into baked pie crust. Refrigerate until pie filling has solidified (about 1 hour), then top with Cool Whip. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment