Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup





I am not one of those people who thinks soup is a winter food. I mean, it does taste good on a cold winter day, but anything I can make in my CrockPot, which doesn't heat up the whole kitchen, is a summer food to me. I've been wanting a good Chicken Wild Rice soup recipe for awhile. I found this one that looked pretty good while browsing through Pinterest, but I felt like it was missing a few things. I have had chicken/ wild rice soup with tarragon before, and it adds a unique flavor that I feel really makes the soup. So, that was one of the things I added to this recipe, and it made it so good. Here is the recipe:


Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

Ingredients:
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 package of Rice-a-Roni long grain and wild rice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp tarragon
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
2 cups half and half (I used fat-free half and half)
1 cup grated carrots (I diced mine)
1 cup diced celery
1 medium onion, chopped

Directions:
Combine broth, water, carrots, celery, onion, chicken and rice (along with seasoning packet), and tarragon in a large slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Take out chicken and shred, then add back into slow cooker. In a small bowl combine salt, pepper, and flour. In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour mixture by tablespoon. Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until smooth. Stir cream mixture into slow cooker and then let cook on low for 15 more minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment