Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Chicken Parmesan





 So, I have to start by saying that chicken parmesan is pretty much my favorite food ever. I have been making it for so long I actually had to dig out the really old recipe I used to use that I never even have to look at anymore, and then adapt it to the ways I have changed it over the years. But, I really can't remember the last time I had to read a recipe to make it. I decided that I needed to write down how I make it, though, so that it could be shared and enjoyed by others. So, here it is, the recipe to what I consider my #1 comfort food. Enjoy!


Chicken Parmesan

Ingredients
½ to ¾ cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp. pepper
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Vegetable or Canola oil (enough to cover the bottom of a 10 inch skillet)
1 (16oz.) jar spaghetti sauce (plus more if you are serving spaghetti on the side)
1 (8 oz.) package mozzarella cheese
½ cup parmesan cheese
Desired amount of spaghetti or other pasta to serve as side

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Mix together bread crumbs, garlic powder, and pepper in a bowl, and set aside. In another bowl, add egg and milk, and beat together with a fork.
If you have the tools to pound the chicken breasts next, I like to do this because it makes them extra tender, but it’s not necessary. If not, continue on by pouring enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of a 10 inch skillet, and turn on low.  Dip the chicken breasts into the milk/ egg mixture, then roll them in the breadcrumb mixture to coat. Place the chicken breasts in the skillet. Cook on low until just brown on one side, then flip over and cook until brown on the other side.  In the meantime, pour ½ of the jar of spaghetti sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish, and spread out evenly. When chicken is browned on both sides, remove from skillet and set on top of sauce in the baking dish. Bake for 20 min., then remove from oven. Top chicken breasts with remaining sauce, then the parmesan and mozzarella cheese.  Return to the oven for an additional 10-15 minutes.
Serve with hot cooked pasta and additional spaghetti sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment